SUPTA stands for ‘Stand Up Paddleboard Training Academy’, which is what we’re working really hard to develop at the moment. From this summer, August 2019, we’re offering SUP Yoga and SUP Pilates Teacher Training Programmes in the UK (and taking them abroad in 2020 too!).
As an E-RYT 500 (Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher – 500hrs) with Yoga Alliance, plus both having our advanced (Level 2) SUP Qualifications with BSUPA, we are aiming to deliver professional, relevant and fun courses, recognised by industry experts.
Our first two courses are running on the weekends of 10th and 11th August, plus 14th and 15th September, both at the SHAC Lagoon in Surrey. Read on for all the details and please get in touch if you have any questions or would like to join the course.
SUP Yoga / Pilates Teacher Training
WHO’S THIS COURSE FOR:
– 200hr+ yoga teachers
– Qualified, practising Pilates teachers
– Hold a minimum of 200hr yoga/pilates teacher certificate
– Have 20hr SUP experience including 10hr SUP Yoga practice
– Hold a recognised SUP Instructor (minimum Level 1) certificate*
– While ideally completed in advance of the SUP Yoga/Pilates Teacher training course, you do have 12 months post-course to achieve your SUP instructor certificate, at which point your SUP Yoga/Pilates teacher certificate will be issued.
– Note you will be required to demonstrate foundation SUP skills and competency during the workshop in advance of you achieving your SUP Instructor certificate.
* exceptions may be made when SUP Yoga/Pilates sessions take place on pre-tethered SUPs in pools with lifeguards.
WHY BECOME A SUP YOGA/PILATES TEACHER?
The physical and mental health and overall wellbeing benefits of SUP, yoga and Pilates are well-documented, and as individuals we benefit in different ways each and every time we practice regardless of age, fitness level, flexibility or athletic background. Swapping your traditional studio for the great outdoors, offers a precious opportunity to reconnect with nature and our natural environment and enjoy all that it encompasses. Swapping your traditional yoga/pilates mat for a SUP, focuses both the mind and body as all of a sudden the simplest of poses becomes a challenge.
A SUP Yoga/Pilates session typically delivers a full strength and conditioning workout for both the mind and body, leaving your clients rejuvenated and energised and just a little bit blissed out! SUP sessions are a great addition to any yoga/Pilates teachers’ schedule. You will paddle away from this course equipped with the latest accurate information and teaching methods and with a better understanding of how SUP Yoga/Pilates can improve core stability, strength, balance and proprioception, and be a lot of fun!
Successful completion of the SUPta Yoga/Pilates Teacher training course will enable you to safely and confidently deliver sessions in protected waters no more than 50 metres from shore and/or in swimming pools. In addition to SUP Yoga/Pilates poses and their modifications, the course covers SUP safety and relevant business and marketing skills and practical workshops to refine and enhance your teaching delivery.
This 16 hour, 2 day workshop will equip you with the knowledge to deliver your own SUP Yoga/Pilates sessions in a variety of environments and give you the skills to select your location to ensure the wellbeing and safety of your clients, adapting sessions according to the weather conditions. Additional practical assessments and homework may be required post-workshop to achieve your certificate.
To achieve your SUP Yoga/Pilates Teacher certificate you will need to:
– Safely perform a series of SUP yoga/Pilates poses
– Deliver a SUP Yoga/Pilates lesson including demonstrations and modifications
– Complete 10hrs assisting SUP Yoga/Pilates instruction at a recognised SUP/watersports school
– Present a valid SUP Instructor certificate
It is also recommended, but not essential for this qualification, that you complete:
– First Aid course
– Water Safety Rescue course (covered in most SUP Instructor Level 1 courses)
x2 days practical & theory tuition
Access to ongoing online support & materials
WHAT TO BRING:
SUP board / leash / paddle*
Clothing suitable for weather conditions
Towel & warm, dry clothes
Lunch & refreshments
*Equipment available to hire at additional cost
£265 per person